Sunday, May 22

What's Cooking To{day}...

When I worked at the Los Angeles Times, one of my favorite Thursday things to do was... scour through the Food Section. I couldn't wait for it. I'd read every part of it... add new restaurants to my growing list of places I needed to try... and I'd cut out recipes to make. Over the years... I've cut out so many recipes my little recipe box is overflowing with newspaper recipe clippings. Each one has been used at some time or another... they're never a disappointment... totally worth keeping and making over and over and over! But out of all the culinary delights I'd read, I'd have to say, the 'Culinary SOS' articles are my fav's... 'Culinary SOS' is their most popular feature... it's an article where readers ask them for a recipe... and they do their best to get it. They've published recipes from everywhere... I get so excited to see what the next one will be...

And this recipe is one of those 'Culinary SOS' recipes... the reader was asking for The Getty Center Mexican Black Bean Burgers.... and boy are they delightful! 

Getty Center Mexican Black Bean Burgers
  • 2 - 15oz cans of black beans drained
  • 1/4 cup diced onion
  • 1/12 cup diced red bell pepper
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 egg
  • 1 cup bread crumbs
  • 2 tablespoons cilantro
Process bean, onion, bell pepper, cayenne, egg, and cilantro in a food processor (or like me in the blender)... once blended together.... place in large bowl and fold in bread crumbs. Shape into 6 patties. Patties may be made 1 day ahead & refrigerated to allow them to set well. ( I cook them the same day).

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add 3 patties and fry about 2-3 minutes per side, turning once. Add another tablespoon of olive oil and fry the remaining 3 patties.

Place each patty in hamburger roll and serve with salsa and guacamole, if desired.

This time I added some chipotle sour cream and pepper jack cheese to it... it really is a fabulous burger. The first time my husband ate it, he thought it was a real burger... he had no idea it was just a black bean mixture... I think you're going to love this recipe...
_________________________________________________________________________________________
I thought I'd add a little side note about The Getty Center... if you're ever in the L.A. area. I can't choose which I like more... but if you have a chance going to one (or both) of The Getty Centers will make for a lovely day! The Getty Center in Malibu it's a wonderful educational center and museum dedicated to the study of the arts and cultures of ancient Greece, Rome, and Etruria and the The Getty Center in Los Angeles has Getty's collection of Western art from the Middle Ages to the present... both locations have tranquil gardens, and breathtaking views. They are two of my favorite places to go....

Have a lovely day... and let me know if you try this recipe...

MichelleLadybugSig

5 comments:

JustJoan said...

Thanks for the recipe Michelle!
I love going to the newer L.A. Getty when I'm visiting...one of my favorite places.

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhhh with having so many recipes... I totally think you should make a book to house them all!! Coming from you..that would LOOK awesome! I loveeeeeee this one! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

Bekka said...

That sounds like a great twist on a burger!

Moira said...

This sounds like a burger that I make from time to time, YUM!!!! Thanks for sharing!!!
OXOX,Moira

MJ said...

These look fabulous! And being from Wisconsin, I'll definitely have to add a just a bit of "dairy" to it, as you suggested. (The pepper-jack cheese sounds like the perfect topper...Yum!)