Monday, November 22

What's Cooking To{day}...

Yeah, we're all ready to start cooking Thanksgiving dinner... unless something disastrous happens... all the shopping is done! I don't want to have to go shopping again until after Thanksgiving!! Yesterday, Rainee and I went shopping at Trader Joe's for our free-range turkey plus most of our shopping... I love that place!! Then to Stater Bros. where we finished off the rest of our shopping! And our deal of the day was... 10 lbs. of potatoes for .69¢!!! wow!

I am really looking forward to cooking.... I love cooking Thanksgiving dinner! I don't know about you but, we have the traditional dinner... plus we like to add one new thing to the menu. We watched the Throwdown with Bobby Flay and Ree Drummond and I might check out her potatoes recipe.... but Bobby made brussel sprouts with pomegranate molasses... and Steve's decided HE HAS TO HAVE THEM... me??? Yuk! I've never ate a brussel sprout I've liked... so I'm making them just for him. Of course, I will try them, but... I'm not looking forward to it!

One recipe which has become a a tradition in our home is my Cranberry Salsa. It adds a nice little spice to our dinner... I love love love it!! I've found over the years this recipe makes such a big batch... I have enough for Thanksgiving and some Christmas canning. It's made an easy holiday gift for family, friends and neighbor's... plus I like having it around for when I have a craving... it goes great with tortilla chips. It's also a wonderful appetizer using 8 oz. of cream cheese and pour about 1 ½ cups of Cranberry Salsa over cream cheese and serve with your favorite crackers or chips. YUM!

So... to{day} I thought I'd share the recipe with you... adding a little spice to your Thanksgiving dinner... and ya never know it may become a tradition in your home too. Enjoy!!


Cranberry Salsa ~

2 Cans WHOLE Cranberry Sauce (I like Ocean Spray)
1 Large Onion (chopped)
1 Bunch of Cilantro (chopped)
Jalapeno Peppers (3-6peppers) (chopped & seeded) - - I use 3... I like to taste my food
1/2 tsp Ground Cumin
Juice of 1 Lime

In a large bowl, place chopped onions, cilantro, jalapenos, WHOLE cranberry sauce, cumin and lime juice. Mix together. Let sit overnight, so all the flavor blend together. I have made it the same day... first thing in the morning and let it sit for 6-8 hours... and it's fine.

I hope you enjoy it!!! Let me know if you use it, I'd love to know what you think... do you love it? or hate it?  Have a terrific Tuesday!!!



signatureFALL

7 comments:

Deana said...

We have a restaurant close to home that makes the most amazing brussel sprouts...I crave them. Honestly I never thought I would like them, but these are shredded and sauteed in what seems to be garlic and olive oil. Hope yours turn out well! Enjoy your family time!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like your going to be busy the next couple of days. I hope you have a fantastic Thanksgiving.

Jana said...

MMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, yummy, that pics are soo inviting and thanks so much for sharing the recipe!!!! Have a great Thanksgiving!

Hanneke said...

Yummie that sounds and look delicious!! We don't have Thanksgiving and I think it's great to read about all the traditions you have!!
And I am no brussel sprouts fan either, yak!!!!
Have a wonderfull day tomorrow!!

MJ said...

Sounds like it will be a fun and delicious holiday. Bill actually grows Brussel Sprouts... the plants look sort of like miniature palm trees! The key to good sprouts is to get the smallest/tiniest ones you can find. They are less woody & more flavorful, but also cook quicker. If you can only find large ones, simply cut them in half (or if they are really big, quarter them.) We like to roast them in browned butter with a little balsamic vinegar (or lemon juice), salt & pepper until they are caramelized. Yum :-) Happy Thanksgiving!

Bekka said...

That sounds pretty good! Amazed at your potato deal. Have a very happy Thanksgiving!

Moira said...

That salsa sounds delicious!!!
Our dinner consists of home-made southwest egg roll's, cream cheese wantons, fried rice and coleslaw. I know it's not very traditional, but when you live in the middle of nowhere and have no friends or family nearby~What's a person to do?? We will be watching some movies and eating junk food!
Love Ya Sis,
*Wish we were there having this amazing sounding salsa with you guys, OLAY!!!
Moira