Sunday, July 18

What's Cooking Sun{day}...

All week it's been hotter than heck here and cooking has been one of those things where I've had to be creative and do some things which don't require cooking or it's already cooked for me and I just add a few things... but this is one of my favorite salad recipes... and for whatever reason I forget about it until it's blazing hot out... and requires no cooking...


Jicama Salad
2 tsp olive oil
2 garlic cloves
2/3 Cup orange juice
1 Tbsp red wine vinegar
12 ounces jicama, pared and made into thin sticks
3 small navel oranges, peeled, sectioned (or easier- 1 large can of mandarin oranges)
1/4 Cup cilantro
1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1/2 Cup thinly slice red onions
1/4 Cup sliced scallions (green portion only)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
Zest and juice from one lime
Pinch ground red pepper
1 jalapeno peppers seeded and diced (this is optional - depending on how spicy you want it)

1) In a bowl, add oil, garlic, orange juice, vinegar, salt, pepper, ground red pepper, jalapeno, lime zest and juice. Mix this together and refrigerate for 30minutes. I usually make this the day before to get all the flavors to meld together.
2) In another bowl, combine jicama, oranges, onions and scallions.
3) Add orange juice mixture, toss and let stand for about 15 minutes, toss again.

I didn't to day, but I have been known to add a few other things to it like fresh blackberries, fresh cherries, carrot slivers, diced roasted chicken and green apples along with some Romain lettuce... but today we had it "as is" along side hamburgers Steve bbq'd... yum! It's fresh and cool. I love it and I hope you enjoy it as much as my family does... Happy Sun{day}.

4 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

YUMMY! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

JustJoan said...

Yum! That looks and sounds really good...I'll have to try it.
I know it doesn't get that hot here, maybe up in the 90's one or two days, but we don't have a/c so when it's hot we definitely cook outside or have salads...or eat out where they do have a/c.
Have a great week Michelle. Love you!

MJ said...

Was introduced to jicama within the last few years and love it! This salad looks like a winner - we'll try it soon. Thanks for the suggestion!

Moira said...

Hey~ This Salad Looks GREAT!!!! I have NEVER~EVER had jicama before, this looks like a tasty way to try it out!!!
Thanks Sis,
Moira