For this first installment...
We did some grocery shopping yesterday... it's something Rainee & I do together... she likes helping mommy cross things off the list... It's more time together, plus I've learned if I give her something to do... she won't keep asking... mommy, how much longer 'til we leave... and she likes driving around in the 'car' carts... it's a win - win thing!!! Nevertheless... when we got home I wanted to scream because the heat here was so detestable... it's fall... I should be feeling cool breezes and my home is suppose to be filled with a wonderful fall bouquet of homemade goodies! But instead... it was 103º and who wants to cook in that heat??? Me??? What can I say? I was feeling inspired...
No matter what the temperature was outside... I was determined to cook!!! I was still boiling hot, even with the air conditioning on... but I was on a roll... remember, I was feeling inspired. I couldn't wait to savor everything I was making... Blackberry Cobbler, Jicama Salad and Tex Mex Chicken with Mexican Rice. My home was filled with the pleasing fragrance of... delicious.
I'm a great cook (even, if I do say so myself)... and this... this was one of the nicest meals I've made lately... I was exhilarated by the thought of sitting down with my family and eating a scrumptious meal... it was wonderful... Mmmmmmmm!
One of my favorite things about this meal, was the cobbler. I have to say, this IS the most marvelous cobbler recipes... EVER!!! I found it years ago, when I subscribe to Victoria Magazine... their recipes were always so alluring... sometimes more fancy schmancy than I would ever do... but this one... this one was a keeper!!!! I love it so much... I enjoy the slight orange taste, from the orange zest... plus, I delight in the fact ANY fruit works with this recipe. I've used peaches, cherries, blackberries, raspberries mixed berries, apples... you name the fruit, and I've probably made made a cobbler with it... and it always turns out incredible!!! So if you're in the mood... for something delicious, you'll want to try this...
1 Cup Flour
1/2 Cup Sugar
Grated Zest of 1 Medium Orange
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
4 Tbsp. Cold Butter
1/2 Cup Milk
1 Large Egg
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
3-6 Cups Fruit
- Preheat oven to 350º. Cooking spray prepare 8"x8"x2" baking pan.
- In medium bowl, using an electric mixer, mix at low speed the flour, sugar, orange zest, baking power and salt. Increase speed to med-low, beat in butter until the mixture looks like coarse meal.
- In a a small bowl whisk together milk, egg and vanilla. Add to the dry ingredients and mix at medium speed until batter is mixed together and fluffy. Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Scatter fruit evenly over the batter.
- Combine another 1/2 Cup Sugar with 1 tsp. nutmeg and sprinkle it over the top of the fruit.
- Bake cobbler for 40 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. (Note: if you don't have fresh fruit, use frozen.. let it thaw out, drain it, then use it.) Enjoy!!!