Friday, October 1

Weekly Gratitude...

The Fire Department. On Sunday night my husband, Steve, came home from work and the first thing he said was... "Are you painting? Are you using paint thinner?" Both Rainee and I said "No, why?".... He then went on to tell us that the was this extreme paint thinner smell outside... I walked out our front door and was hit with the strong smell as well. It was so bad, it took my breath away.... I needed to know where it was coming from so I walked one direction... where it was less... then as I walked the other direction... it got stronger and stronger... as I reached the house 2 doors down from ours... the smell was so bad, my eyes started watering and by the time I got home I was a very dizzy. I called the fire department as soon as I walked in the door.... because I knew that if someone lit a match that house would go up in a second.... and it wouldn't be long before it would reach ours.

About 5 minutes the fire department was at our home. When the got there, the smell wasn't as strong as I walked out the door this time... so I was hoping they believed me and could still smell it. They did, and they were concerned as well. From there, they went house to house checking to see which house it was coming from... and if they were okay. They went up and down our block even to homes behind us. It was about an hour later when they came to our door saying their captain was still looking, but they couldn't find the source yet, but would continue to try for a while. They told us not to concern our selves, because it seemed to be going away.

I felt bad, bringing them out for what ended up being nothing... for what seemed as if it were a false alarm. But truly, aren't those the reason we should be calling? Something could have happened? I'm grateful it ended well, because I know it could have gone another way. I'm grateful to our fire department, those men who care... for me and my family... for our community. My heart is filled with thankfulness know they are there when I need them.... even when it turns out to be nothing... I am grateful.

8 comments:

Julie Tucker-Wolek said...

Ohhhhhhhhhh how scary!!! That is one thing that I am grateful for (even though it may sound silly...) is my strong sense of smell and hearing... it has helped me numerous times when something just isn't right... glad they came out though.... I am grateful to firefighters and our emt's daily...also glad that you and Rainee or Steve weren't hurt from the strange fumes! :):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):):)

deana said...

That is so scary. I'm glad everyone seems to be ok! :-)

Amy Muffoletto said...

Goodness... It is good you called. Better to be safe than sorry! We had a mouse get stuck on our capacitor of our air conditioner... Burned the little sucker... But remnants of him caught on fire and we had to call the fire department... Kind of embarassing as it was a mouse but had to do it... It was not bad but they said it was good we called.

Thanks for your weekly Gratitude. Hugs,Amy

Hanneke said...

That is scary!!! I woukd have done the same thing!! Glad everybody id oké and it turned to be not that dangerous!!!

Amanda said...

I'm thankful for them to. I woke up to our house on fire once when I was a teenager. Scariest thing ever. Better safe that sorry. Look what happened in San Fran.

Moira said...

What a HUGE RELIEF!!! I am so glad it was nothing!!!
Love you,
Moira

Bekka said...

That's scary! I'm so glad everything turned out okay. Good call on your part!

Tasha said...

Very scary!
Thank you for thanking your fire department, they are all too often over looked. My husband is a firefighter and they really do care. Never feel bad for calling even when it turns out okay, they are there for the community and love every minute of it!