Sunday, January 24

What's Cooking Sun{day}

Rainee and I got our hair cut yesterday... then did all the fun Saturday errands, one of which was grocery shopping. While shopping we passed the roasted chickens, which are so great because you can make so many different things with them... and it makes life easy!!! One of my favorite uses is making Chicken Enchiladas. Before I would roast my own chicken... wait until it was done then get on with making the Enchiladas. Until I realized how much easier life would be with one of the store's roasted chickens... and I like easy. I make enchiladas a lot more often now because of them... and did I mention it's because I like easy.

As for recipe... I searched high and low for a good recipe... tried several, and finally did combo of a couple, because none of them were perfect. It's spicy, but not too spicy... just enough to get the idea there is a little bit of heat there. Weather you like easy and buy a roasted chicken, or you want to make your own, I hope you'll like it as much as my family. Yesterday, Steve was so excited to come home from work and have them.... and I'm loving them today, because we have leftovers.... which means... no cooking for me today!! Enjoy... and have a fab Sunday!

Chicken Enchiladas

Sauce:
3 Tbsp. Olive Oil
1 medium Onion - diced
1 Tbsp. Minced Garlic
1 tsp. Oregano
2 tsp. Italian Seasons
1 tsp. Chili Powder
1 tsp. Ground Cumin
1 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1 tsp. Cinnamon
2 Cans Chicken Broth 14oz
1 Bay leaf
1 Tbsp. Tomato Paste
2 Cups Tomato Sauce
1 Can Diced Tomato's (I use Mexican style)

25-30 Corn Tortillas
Mexican Blend Cheese (Monterrey Jack/Cheddar)
Whole Roasted Chicken
  • Preheat oven to 350º, with tortillas wrapped in foil, place in oven to warm
  • Place olive oil, dice onions and garlic in skillet start to saute then add the seasonings: Oregano, Italian Seasons, Chili Powder, ground Cumin, Cayenne Pepper.
  • Saute until onions are transparent.
  • Add Chicken Broth, Tomato Paste, Tomato Sauce, Diced Tomato's, Bay leaf and Cinnamon.
  • Bring to boil, reduce heat. Cook until Sauce is reduced and somewhat thick.
  • While sauce is reducing, shred chicken.
  • When sauce is reduced, place a small amount of sauce in a 13"x9" pan
  • Take tortillas out of oven and switch the oven to broil.
  • Then with tongs lightly place a tortilla in the sauce coating both sides.
  • Place in pan, add shredded chicken and cheese, then roll. (Seam side down) Repeat until pan is lined with Enchiladas.
  • Pour SOME sauce over Enchiladas, top with cheese. (Set aside remaining sauce)
  • Place in oven, on center rack for about 5-10 minutes... until cheese is lightly brown.
Serve Enchiladas with some remaining sauce over the top. Additionally you can add sour cream and cilantro on top. ENJOY!!!

Notes: Make sure to keep tortillas warm. Recover them each time you take one out. Corn tortillas will crumble, won't roll well and will crack if they are COLD, so be sure to keep them WARM.

1 comment:

Frogs-n-Butterflies said...

WOW!!! My mouth is watering just looking at that picture! I am definitely going to try this recipe! Yummmmmmmm!:)